As a furniture designer, you'll produce designs for items of furniture and related products. These designs may then be mass produced or made in small batches or as one-off individual pieces.
You may just be involved in the design aspect of the work or you may be a highly-skilled crafts person and produce items from your own designs.
You'll either work alone or alongside colleagues creating concepts and designs that balance innovative design, functional requirements and aesthetic appeal.
The process of furniture design demands creativity, business awareness and skills in marketing, finance, sales and manufacturing.
Job Offer Furniture Designer in Lagos Island
Job TitleFurniture Designer
- Although entry without a degree may be possible through an apprenticeship, or by starting work straight from school as a trainee, young furniture designers increasingly have a relevant degree, BTEC or HND in a furniture-related subject such as:
- 1. furniture design
- 2. furniture design and making
- 3. product and furniture design.
- Courses with a mix of practical skills and creative design may be particularly useful.
- Other relevant degree subjects include:
- 1. art and design, 3D design or spatial design
- 2. ceramics and glass
- 3. furniture technology
- 4. product design.
- General tasks are likely to include:
- 1.studying, researching and planning various styles of furniture design
- 2.finding ways to improve furniture items already manufactured
- 3.staying informed about design trends and developments
- 4.selecting suitable materials, which might include wood, metal, plastic and textiles
- 5.discussing designs with clients for custom ordering or with manufacturers
- 6.generating sample designs using computer-aided design (CAD), card models, sketches or hard prototypes
- 7.using software packages such as AutoCAD, Inventor, SolidWorks and Photoshop
- 8.preparing detailed final designs
- 9.liaising with craftsmen or production department staff - such as production managers, 10.marketing staff and design engineers - about the process of construction or manufacture
- 11.using various tools to complete projects from raw materials to finished furniture items
- 12.attending workshops, seminars and training on various types of manufacturing and furniture design.
km 35 lekki epe express way, Lakowe Ibeju-Lekki Lagos, Lagos Island
Browse All Jobs