Job vacancy Security Officer
View all 776 Jobs
Catholic Relief Services
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist person on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria m 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, HIV and health extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
Policies and Procedures:
- Be familiar with CRS’s Safety and Security procedures and policies and Safe and Sound Manual, and support the NE Security Coordinator and Head of Office, Yobe in ensuring they are adhered to at all times.
- Work with the Security Coordinator to develop, consolidate, implement, and regularly review operating procedures and security plans across Northeast Nigeria.
- Assist the Security Coordinator to provide training(s) that may include Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Contingency Plans (CPs), Security Management, Incident Reporting, Prevention and Response Mechanisms, Communications (including satellite phones), and risk/threat analysis.
- Provide thorough security briefings to CRS staff and visitors upon arrival in Yobe State.
- Initiate, review, and collate security incident reports for each field site.
- Implement, maintain, and regularly update the CRS Yobe State staff and visitors list, Security Communications Tree and SOPs as needed
- Ensure the communication equipment functions at all times (HF radio, sat phone, internet, phone lines). Follow-up on any calls made by satellite phone and radio
Staff and Vehicle Movement:
- In collaboration with the Travel Team, monitor movement and provide security guidance to international and national staff on the current situation in operational areas.
- Daily track and record all CRS field movement within Yobe State. Maintain strong communication to report and record observations, information, and occurrences during staff movement
- Serve as focal point with drivers during interstate movement by tracking the location of all vehicles and staff and communicate with CRS Security Officers in other states.
Monitoring and Analysis:
- Collect information regarding politics and security in Yobe State as well as on safety and security issues concerning CRS.
- Respond to security relevant incidents with information gathering and inform the CRS NE Operations Security Coordinator and the Head of Office, Yobe.
- Undertake continual assessments of equipment (including vehicles) and organizational assets to ensure that minimal conditions for security are met. Prevent loss and damage by reporting irregularities; informing violators of policy and procedures.
- Ensure that perimeter security staff (guards) have the capacities to perform their duties as per the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Maintain a wide professional and personal network of influential actors and clearly communicate CRS’s status and mission in Yobe State and across NE Nigeria.
- Build acceptance to facilitate continuity of current CRS programs and any future humanitarian or development programming by liaising with local communities, local authorities and other humanitarian actors and stakeholders within the state.
- Coordinate regularly with the NE Security Coordinator on safety and security issues and fulfill all reporting requirements to the Country Office in Abuja.
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of 1 year experience in the field of community engagement, risk management, safety and security management or other related fields
- Degree in Criminal Justice, Peace and Security Studies, Political Science or a related-field
- Minimum of two years working in a security-sensitive environment.
- Previous experience in security management with NGOs
- Completed formal security management trainings
- Ability to plan and organize work and write clear and concise reports and communicate effectively (both written and verbal)
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Proven ability to read maps
- Knowledge of the geography and culture of Northeast Nigeria
- Stable, moral, reliable character and a good team player
- Excellent communication skills, calm, with a good sense of humor
- Proven commitment to accountability practices
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Word, email, Skype, internet searches)
- Fluency in oral and written English. Fluency in Hausa or Kanuri or any other local language is a distinct advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge through formal and informal training
- Must be familiar with and committed to gender equity in programming and management practices
Apply for this Job
More Job Vacancies
- Employee | Full Time | 21 Feb, 2020JOB BYXyCareers Nigeria
See all jobs